My makeup storage: Featuring the Ikea Malm dresser

Hi lovelies, I’m back! If you follow me on Twitter, you will know that my makeup collection has been a little overwhelming recently. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t as big as some other bloggers collections, but probably more than the average person. What can I say? I love makeup. I used to use clear acrylic drawers for makeup storage, but I got bored of the towering beasts cluttering up my desk. Recently, I have had my room decorated, and so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to buy the Ikea malm dressing table and sort everything out once and for all. So here is my Ikea makeup storage!

Ikea makeup storage

The Ikea Malm Dressing Table

One thing that was annoying me about my old set up was that my desk was really narrow. It meant everything was stacked on top of each other and, not only did it not look good, it wasn’t practical either. So I went to Ikea. The trusty land of all furniture. I was immediately drawn to the Ikea Malm dressing table. It comes in three colours, and so to match my other Ikea furniture I purchased it in ‘White stained oak veneer’. One thing I loved about this dresser is that it comes with one singular drawer that spans the entire length… perfect for makeup! It is 120 cm long and so has enough space to not feel cramped. For your money, you also get a glass top included. If you’re anything like me and spill foundation all the time… you need this girl. Overall it cost £95 for the colour I chose, but I know for a fact that the white version is cheaper (annoying I know).

Ikea malm dresser makeup storage

ikea malm dressing table makeup storage

The ikea malm dressing table drawer

I knew straight away that I didn’t want my makeup to just be thrown in randomly. My inner Monica Geller shone through, and I purchased the Billigen drawer inserts to keep everything organised. These are £1. Such a cheap and cheerful way to sort your makeup storage needs. The inserts include a larger and smaller section. I loved this as naturally, some makeup products take up more space than others and so it is nice to have some variety. The drawer can fit 6-7 inserts comfortably, but I decided to use 5 altogether.

I use one section per product type as shown in the pictures. This means I know exactly where all my concealers, bronzers and brow products live. I left some space at the end of the drawer to fit in some of my drugstore palettes and miscellaneous products and it also gives me the room to add more inserts if I ever need to in the future. The inserts are plastic and so can easily be wiped in case of any spillages. I have never been a fan of the fabric drawer inserts for this reason (I’m messy okay).

Ikea malm dresser makeup storage

ikea malm dresser and ikea malm drawer organizers – billingen inserts

Ikea malm drawer insert

ikea malm drawer organizer billingen inserts

On the top

As I said previously, I recently had my room decorated and so my new colour scheme is grey and rose gold. As you can see from the picture, the top of the dresser is all based around rose-gold accessories. On the left there is a rose gold ‘lamp’ from Primark. I use the word lamp lightly as the bulb is not a real, but instead contains fairy lights. It’s so cute, and it doesn’t take up too much space. I then have two makeup brush pots in the centre, one for face brushes and one for eye brushes. Like most bloggers these days, I use the Ikea white plant pot to store my face brushes. I got the smaller one as I didn’t want it to be too bulky (and it will hopefully limit the number of brushes I purchase). The eyebrush holder is from Amazon, I love it! It is actually a pen pot, but I  think it is great for brush storage. I kept the two holders white but with different styles, as I didn’t want everything to be too similar.

The mirror is from No7 and it lights up! It has a standard mirror and a magnification mirror on the opposite side. Again rose-gold…oops. Finally, on the right is where I keep my more high-end eyeshadow palettes. I bought this rose gold basket from Primark, and it is so useful. I originally had my hair products in there, but it has been upgraded to palette storage.

Eyeshadow palette storage

Eyeshadow palette storage and makeup brush storage

Eyeshadow brush storage

Eyeshadow brush storage

Primark desk lamp

Primark desk lamp

So that is my makeup storage. A simple dresser top, with an organised (but still slightly chaotic) drawer. If you want a more detailed look at my makeup collection, let me know in the comments. I am thinking of doing a series on here.

How do you store your makeup? I am always looking for tips!

Thanks for reading,

Chloe x

*PS the grey and rose gold stool is from The Range … it matches perfectly with my colour scheme.

Follow me on social media:

Instagram – here

Twitter – here

Pinterest – here

Share:
91 comments so far.

91 responses to “My makeup storage: Featuring the Ikea Malm dresser”

1. Sadia says:

I am sooooooooo much in love with your New Set up ! You’re so much organized and don’t call yourself messy at all ! Love that Rosegold mirror ? please do a series and I totally want to see your makeup from up close ??

• BeingChloe173 says:

Aww thankyou lovely! I will definitely look into doing a series of makeup collection posts 🙂 x

2. Sandra says:

Very organised. Love ?

3. I seriously love this so much, so aesthetically pleasing!

4. Kathleen says:

Love it! Well done on the decorating 🙂

5. Kayla says:

I love this! You definitely used that drawer space to it’s potential and the accent pieces on top are adorable. Thanks for sharing!

6. Vanessa says:

This setup is a neat freaks dream! Love what you did!

7. Lauren says:

Ok this a dream. The drawers. The decor. Not that I have a lot of make-up but the Monica in me too loves it!!

8. Eena says:

I love how you organized everything! And everything does look better in rose gold, doesn’t it? 😉

cabin twenty-four

9. Channon Gray says:

The dresser is so pretty and your organisation skills make me feel incredibly happy!

10. Tabitha says:

Soooo prettttyyyy!!! I love your lamp! I also like how you organized your pallets on top ,very smart! The stool is adorable as well. I wish I had space, but I can only use a plastic two drawer case and my makeup bags.

• BeingChloe173 says:

Thankyou! I like having some makeup on display but not too much! The stool is my baby I love it so much 🙂 x

11. Michelle says:

Your makeup storage is so cute and so organized — I’d like to get something like this in my place but my apartment is so, so tiny!

Thanks for sharing! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

• BeingChloe173 says:

I agree, I had a smmall desk before this one with acrylic drawer storage on top, so maybe you could do that? x

12. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great,
    as well as the content!

13. Good job setting up your makeup area. I’ll probably have to get creative and do a little corner like this

14. Agustina says:

I totally love the dresser and how you organized everything! Looks amazing girl!

Love, Agustina (theblueyedgal.com)

15. This is the cutest desk and setup. I love that light! Way to get organizers too, that would be me for sure!

• BeingChloe173 says:

They’re definitely needed otherwise I’d have makeup everywhere haha, plus they’re only £1 so they’re a bargain!

16. Shelley says:

I totally love this idea! I wish I had the space for it!

17. janna conner says:

ah man! I wish I had room for this in my apt! everything is so well organized and I bet it makes it so much nicer to get ready. great job!

• BeingChloe173 says:

It really does, before it was so overwhelming but now I know exactly where everything is and I can use products I haven’t used in a while! x

18. Love the setup! It’s inspired me to finally organize my brushes and do a brush cup as well.

19. Mary L says:

All that organization just makes me happy!

20. Aubree says:

I need your organizational skills! This is absolutely perfect! No matter what I do, my beauty products never stay organized and end up being thrown in a drawer ?

21. Omg this is such a gorgeous set up! I love when everything is organized and looks all pretty! ?

XOA

22. Karen says:

Hi there! I nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    Please follow the link below and continue the support. Thank you!!

23. Karen says:

Hi there! I nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    Please follow the link below and continue the support.

24. Amber says:

I love this! This is so cute and such a great way to store all your makeup! You are defiantly my favorite beauty blogger and have a great collection of makeup (:

25. Sue says:

That makes me smile! Love it!

26. Muna says:

This is right up my alley! I’m into rose gold theming atm! I’ve been wanting to get that ikea malm dresser for sooo long. It’s so simple but perfect for this! Thanks for the insp girl!

27. Tanja Kibogo says:

Beautiful blogpost and nice tips! Thanks a lot for sharing. xo

28. Izzy Grey says:

This set up is beautiful! I love all the storage space!

29. Mary Yowell says:

It’s so hard to keep your makeup organized when you have a small space! I love how you organized everything! Love the Friends reference by the way!

• BeingChloe173 says:

Haha who doesn’t love a friends reference now and again (or always)! I agree its hard in a small space, I struggle at uni definitely x

30. Alys says:

I love your setup so so much, it’s so organised and tidy! And everything matches to well too. I really like the photos you’ve taken for this post, and I swear rose gold is to die for haha xx
    Alys

• BeingChloe173 says:

Thankyou lovely, I am so glad you liked it! Rose gold is definitely my favourite thing right now x

31. Fran says:

Your makeup area and storage is gorgeous. Especially love the stool and copper/rose gold accessories!

Fran | www.

32. Lau says:

Your collection is a lot more organised then mine, also love the set up.

33. Haley Marie says:

Definitely stealing some great inspiration from this post for how to organize my massive makeup collection! I loved it; thank you for sharing 🙂

34. Nicki says:

That is a beautiful set up, so neat and well planned. My makeup collection is in a right state.

35. Ashley Roberts says:

I love the desk and how you have it set up with the baskets in the drawer! And the Primark lamp is so neat!

36. Chantal says:

I love your new setup! Ikea has such great tables/desks that are perfect for a makeup station. I’m going to be redoing my corner with something from Ikea too, I can’t wait to go shopping!

37. Tiffany says:

Loving the dresser! Thanks for sharing your review about this product ♥️ ♥️ By any chance you are interested on doing collaborations, you can check out the collaborations portal of Phlanx.com and connect with amazing brands!

Xoxo,
    Tiffany

38. Sarah says:

So tidy! Love the little drawer inserts.. might need to get some of them! Great blog post 🙂

39. Siobh says:

Stunning photography in this post!! Absolutely love the organisation, I need to do something like this in my room x

40. Sara says:

I am obsessed and it looks beautiful! That chair is absolutely stunning!

41. I store my makeup palettes on the bottom drawer as my table has already jammed with brush holders and lipstick lines ? I wanna spare space to put stuff while doing my makeup ?

42. Lala Kerry says:

It looks so organize! I need this in my room too, I always have a messy desk and drawer XD

• BeingChloe173 says:

Haha my storage was so chaotic until I decided to sort it out! Although this one has started to get a bit crowded now oops! x

43. Michelle says:

I wish I had enough room in my little studio for a desk like this to organize all my makeup — it would be so lovely! Also, you have such a great collection of makeup.

Thanks for sharing! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

• BeingChloe173 says:

It’s so useful! Maybe you could find a smaller alternative? I also used to use acrylic drawers which don’t take up that much room! X

44. Jess says:

I love this! I’ve got an Ikea desk as my dressing table and though it’s similar to yours I don’t think the drawer is as deep which is super annoying because most of the inserts don’t fit in it which means my drawers are more chaotic! I’ve got one of those big rose gold boxes to keep my toiletries in but I love how you’ve got all your palettes in there it looks so cute. This post has made me feel like I need to have a make up declutter/tidy up!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• BeingChloe173 says:

Aww thanks Jess! I’m not gonna lie, since writing this post the drawer has gotten more chaotic, I wanted to re-read it so I can sort it all out again ? maybe you could find some inserts that fit!

45. Monica says:

Lovely storage system (I saw your post on Twitter!)

I just shove all my stuff in a box on a shelf. Not the cutest system but…

~Monica

46. Anjhanee says:

Loving this setup! Everything looks so nice, and your photography is awesome. I’m such a sucker for rose gold, and you have some beautiful pieces here. I’m currently re-doing my setup as well, so thank you for the tips and inspo! (: