Testing Primark makeup: PS Amber Palette

Hi lovelies, I am back again! So recently I took a trip to Primark (like I always do) and noticed that they had really expanded their makeup selection. I have never tried Primark makeup before so I thought I would pick out a few items. Do let me know in the comments if you want a testing Primark makeup series! One of the first things to catch my eye was the Primark PS amber palette… it has serious Naked Heat vibes going on. I had to try it out to see if it is as good as my trusty Urban Decay palette. Is this a cheaper dupe of the high-end favourite?

Packaging

The packaging of the PS Amber palette is very similar to the Naked Heat with lots of vibrant fiery reds, and stunning, simple gold writing. I do really like the packaging design of the Amber palette, it’s simple and to the point but clearly shows what type of colours you will find inside. I also really love that it has the shade names of all of the shadows on the back, which is a nice extra little touch that I didn’t expect to find on a Primark palette. One thing I will say is that the cardboard packaging is quite flimsy and so may not hold up well for travel but it does snap shut with a magnet which I think is great! The £4 Makeup Revolution palettes are considerably more sturdy than this one, but for £4 who can complain!

Shadows

Okay, so let’s dive into the bit I know you’re actually interested in reading… are the shadows actually any good?! The PS Amber palette includes 5 mattes and 5 shimmers, all of which are fiery red-orange-purple tones. Perfect for this time of year! I can definitely see why the palette is called ‘Amber’ it reminds me exactly of Bonfire night. There is 10 x 2g worth of product in this palette which is pretty good considering the Naked Heat has 12 x 1.3g. You are getting a considerable amount of product for such a small price point. Total bargain.

• Marshmellow – Icy white shimmer.
  • Cream – Champagne coloured shimmer.
  • Mirage – Stunning vibrant gold shimmer
  • Saffron – Matte pinky-orange shade
  • Tuscany – Bright pink matte
  • Burnt amber – Bright orange matte
  • Tan – cool toned taupe matte
  • Persian Rose – Berry toned shimmer
  • Spice – Deep purple shimmer
  • Rust – Warm brown matte

This palette is very warm toned with the exception of ‘Tan’ and so if you are cool toned gal, this isn’t the palette for you. So let’s just say this palette is a mixed bag. Some of the shadows are insane… others not so much. As you can see from the swatches some of the shadows are more pigmented than others. In particular ‘Cream’, ‘Mirage’ and ‘Spice’ are sooooooo pigmented I was so impressed. I squealed when I saw how rich in pigment spice was – its stunning. Many of the mattes were also pretty pigmented but Tuscony had like zero pigment whatsoever. All of the shadows blended really nicely and with minimal fall out so all in all not too shabby!

Eyeshadow look

As you can see in the picture below, I did a quick and simple look using only this palette and I am pretty happy with it. I used Tan in the crease as a sort of transition colour with rust on top to add some warmth and definition to the crease. Then I put Mirage all over the lid with a small bit of cream to brighten it up. I then put a mixture of Marshmellow and Cream as a brow bone and inner corner highlight. I do like the way the look turned out but I do think it needed a darker brown or black to give a bit more definition in the outer corner of my eye. The look took only a few minutes and looks like something I would achieve with a more expensive palette. Ps. Please excuse the dodgy brows and lashes!

Is it a dupe of Naked Heat?

As you can see from the swatch comparisons I wouldn’t say this palette is an exact dupe of the Urban Decay palette but it is very similar. Anyone who is familiar with the Naked Heat palette would see the Amber palette and know instantly what it is trying to be like. The shades are slightly different with the Primark Amber palette being more orange based and the Naked Heat palette being red-purple. They are both very similar in that they are fiery earthy tones. The most similar shades are Scorched from Naked Heat and Spice from PS Amber. From a price-point perspective, the PS Amber palette is ~£34 cheaper than the Urban Decay so if you are wanting to try these types of shades definitely try this palette first.

Overall

Overall I would say this palette is pretty decent. You get some beautiful shades for the price point that could transform any look. I do think some of the shadows are not as pigmented as others and there is some patchiness eg Burnt Amber. I would still reach for this palette for a quick and simple look but would have to use other palettes to add a bit of depth and definition.

Do you have this palette, what are your thoughts? Are you thinking of trying it out for yourself? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading,

Chloe x

1. March 11, 2018 / 9:41 am

This looks really lovely! I would never buy the naked heat as I’m not sure the colours would suit me but for £4 this is defo worth a try! Would love to hear about other primark makeup bits you have too! 💕

Author
      March 11, 2018 / 9:43 am

Exactly, at least if it’s not for you, you haven’t wasted a fortune! I’m Very excited to try out the other primark makeup I have! Thanks for reading 💗

2. March 11, 2018 / 9:44 am

Both are very lovely, however I don’t really suit orange tones. Naked Heat is definitely the winner for me, but at the price slash who can honestly complain x

Author
      March 11, 2018 / 9:47 am

I’m the same! Orange is a bit too much for me, I need more deeper shades than bright I think! But yeah some of the shades are beautiful for only £4! Thanks for reading lovely 💕

3. March 11, 2018 / 10:42 am

I love my Naked Heat palette and this definitely looks like a great alternative for people who want similar shades for a much cheaper price! That eyeshadow look you created is stunning! This was a really great post, can’t wait to see what else you picked up from the Primark range I’ve heard great things about some of their stuff!

Jess xx
    foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com

Author
      March 11, 2018 / 10:46 am

Aww thankyou lovely! It wasn’t the best but for a quick 2 minute job it was pretty easy 😊 I might make it a weekly thing testing out all of the makeup! Thanks for reading 😊xx

4. March 11, 2018 / 3:36 pm

It actually looks really decent, not as good as the original palette, but decent. 😀

Author
      March 11, 2018 / 3:37 pm

I agree! I expected to absolutely hate it, there are some shades that aren’t that great but others that are lovely! It won’t replace my naked heat but it is a nice palette 😊 thanks for reading!

5. March 11, 2018 / 7:57 pm

It’s great how much Primark have upped their makeup game. There products are fabulous and I cannot get enough.

Author
      March 11, 2018 / 8:12 pm

I’m very excited to give the other products ago! Especially the chocolate range!

Author
      March 12, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Aww thankyou lovely! Not too bad for £4!

6. March 12, 2018 / 10:18 pm

The p.s. amber palette looks so pretty I love the eyeshadow look you created absolutely stunning. I’ve never tried primarily makeup but will definitely keep my eye open for this when I’m next in primark

Emma X
    Emmarollason.com

Author
      March 13, 2018 / 6:50 am

Aww thankyou lovely! It’s definitely worth a try! X

7. March 13, 2018 / 1:34 pm

I am just obsessed with earth tones. That mirage just looks gorgeous on you!

Author
      March 13, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Aww thankyou so much lovely!

8. March 13, 2018 / 7:58 pm

I usually do not use makeup, some mascara and lip gloss and I`m good to go.But I now see that as I get older, my face need more than that so thanks for sharing.

Author
      March 13, 2018 / 8:36 pm

You’re very welcome lovely!

9. March 13, 2018 / 9:19 pm

That’s the thing with cheap pallets – they’re usually not pigmented enough nor do they stay on your eyes for very long. However, good to read this, I wouldn’t have trusted to Primark make up at all, but this sounds like it’s not that bad!

Author
      March 13, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Don’t get me wrong it’s not the best palette in the world! But if someone was looking to see if they liked those kinds of shades it’s a good cheaper alternative to naked heat! Thanks for reading 😊

10. March 14, 2018 / 3:37 pm

I’ve always been interested to see if the Primark range is actually any good! Thanks for sharing hun, may have to give it a cheeky try 🙂

Sophie | https://sophieschoice.co.uk

Author
      March 14, 2018 / 8:05 pm

That’s exactly why I bought some stuff to try, I genuinely thought it would be crap but its actually not that bad 🙂 Thanks for reading x