5 things going to University ACTUALLY teaches you!

So a bit of background information about little old me before I get into this post! I am currently in my 3rd year of studying Pharmacology at the University of Manchester, Uk. Most of you may be thinking, wow, you’re nearly done! Sadly not. I am actually on a placement year working in a lab to get experience for the big scary world out there. After this year I will go back to studying for a year before I finally graduate. I think after 3 years of university so far, I have a lot to share about what University actually teaches you.

1. You will make a lot of friends, and lose a lot of friends!

The first thing you will realise at uni is that you will meet a lot of people, and I mean a lot. I think in my first week I must have talked to hundreds of people, and I  don’t remember half of their names. You will quickly see that everyone is trying to make friends as soon as possible and some of them will stay with you for your entire university journey. Some you will lose… and that’s okay! I changed friendship groups soooo many times in the very first semester, but I soon found out who I loved spending time with.

2. How to live by yourself

Okay, so you will learn LOTS of things at uni, how to shop, cook, clean (maybe) and basically how to not starve to death whilst away from home comforts. I am sure many people, don’t really learn this and still get babied by their parents but I for one made it on my own! Don’t get me wrong, I am not perfect, but I can cook (kinda) and clean (sometimes) and not fail all my modules. Pretty successful I’d say!

3. The importance of milk

Milk is important. In fact not even milk… butter, bread or any food for that matter. It will be the start of so many fights. If you buy some you are a hero, if you buy your own it will get stolen, if you don’t buy any you will face many snide comments until you give in.

4. How to survive off very little money

You have no money…ever. When at uni I basically live in my overdraft and never leave it until my next student loan comes in! It sucks, but you do learn how to make £10 last for a week’s worth of meals, 2 nights out, and a takeaway on a Friday night. You get very smart when it comes to budgeting but can also blow £100 on one night. It’s a see-saw basically.

5.How to ‘clean’ the communal kitchen.

News flash… you won’t. Despite the complaints from the halls cleaner, several fines and the potentially deadly fungus growing out of the mugs, that kitchen will not get cleaned. It is actually hilarious how crafty you can be. Instead of being productive and actually cleaning, you hide the pots and pans in a bin bag in a cupboard. Yes, that is a thing… its universal. Instead of cleaning you will also spend your time complaining how the cleaner will not clean unless the kitchen is also spotless… again universal. You will learn not go in the kitchen barefoot, how to use pans as bowls and not die from the mouldy crockery.

So that’s uni! The real-life lessons you actually learn are priceless. Uni can be the both the best and worst time of your life but 100% worth it.

What did you learn from uni?! Comment below!

Chloe x

1. Fatimah
    February 14, 2018 / 9:10 am

I am going to uni in September and this has helped me to see what I can expect to learn haha, thanks for the tips x

FATIMAH • ROSEYGOLDBOX

February 14, 2018 / 9:20 am

You will learn so many new things! Good luck with starting uni!

2. February 14, 2018 / 9:16 am

I can agree with most of these! During my first semester, I met a lot of people & some of them remained my friends (& even became roommates) throughout the 3 & a half years I was there! I also learned how to live by myself & how to budget since my parents would give me a set amount of money every month.
    Another thing I learned was how to study properly. In high school, I barely studied because the material was rather easy, but at uni it was a completely different story & I had to actually study if I wanted to do well. I also learned how to be more responsible because I was in charge of making sure I made it to classes on time.

February 14, 2018 / 12:14 pm

100% uni teaches a lot of life lessons, and you can truly become independent! I’d like to think that I am now quite good at budgeting and prepping meals so hopefully I’ll stick with it 😊

3. February 14, 2018 / 10:37 am

I feel like I’ve been at uni FOREVER as I’m in my fourth year – and I’d say that uni has taught me that you can get through things even when they seem impossible. I was a mess my first year and thought I’d never make it to Christmas (or come back afterwards) and here I am four years later still powering through, even thought I’m finding it very difficult and consider quitting every single day haha! The communal kitchen nightmares were one of the worst parts of first year – no one knows how to change a bin!! xoxo

4. Monica
    February 14, 2018 / 2:11 pm

I graduated uni nearly 4 years ago (feels like it was yesterday!) and I agree all of these! I made one or two long lasting friends,! I never had enough money, and milk was always a problem! There were full blown arguments with housemates over buying milk and cleaning haha. The best part was living away from parents, and I still live alone now as having my own space is great! The one thing I took away from it was to not cling to the experience, life moves on and while uni is great fun, the rest of your life is even better! Enjoy the rest of uni, it will fly by! xx

February 14, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Haha things like that will definitely cause an argument! I do love the freedom of living away from home and doing everything by yourself… mainly to prove that I can 😂 exactly! I don’t know what I want to do after uni yet but I’m excited to find out! Thankyou for reading lovely 😊 xx

5. February 14, 2018 / 2:24 pm

After 3 degrees in six years and now over 4 years working at a university, you definitely never stop learning from it! I would say the biggest thing I learned is how to handle myself professionally. You don’t realise until you graduate, but it really does help!

February 14, 2018 / 3:53 pm

Wow that is a lot of education! That’s definitely true and a year in industry has definitely helped me to do that 😊

6. February 14, 2018 / 4:26 pm

When I was in college I shared a house with 4 other guys…one day I got home and found that one of them had PUT A LOCK on their milk. I miss those days!

February 14, 2018 / 4:51 pm

I’ve seen that been done before 😂 not gonna lie I’ve been tempted myself after the amount that gets stolen!

7. Tiffany
    February 15, 2018 / 2:31 am

This is all so true! & truthfully I never really thought of it as what I learned in college- I more or less thought of it as just growing up. But you definitely grow up and learn!!

February 15, 2018 / 7:25 am

100% true! Thanks for reading lovely x

8. February 15, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Reading your post I remembered my uni time. It was the best time of my life and I would do it over and over again. Thank advantage of it and enjoy it as much as you can. 🤗

February 15, 2018 / 12:48 pm

I’m not ready to start real life next year 😂 it can be hard but a great experience !

9. February 15, 2018 / 2:27 pm

Great tips doll and very detailed! I’ll be forwarding this to my daughter. 😉

February 15, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Thanks lovely! Hope it helps 😌

10. February 15, 2018 / 7:33 pm

You made me laugh and think back to the “good old days” when I practically lived on 99 cents pasta with salt olive oil and lemon. Give it a few years and you will remember it fondly:)

February 16, 2018 / 6:52 am

Wow that’s a strange combo 😂 I love it now! Thanks for reading!

February 21, 2018 / 6:59 am