Going Self-Hosted with SiteGround

If you follow me on twitter you will know that I recently took the plunge and made being-chloe.com self-hosted! It was a decision that I had been going back and forth with for quite a while but ultimately the freedom of truly owning my own site won me over. I didn’t do much research before going self-hosted but luckily for you, you now don’t have to. Keep reading and I will walk you through how you can make the move in just a few hours using *SiteGround.

Should you take the leap?

Now, of course, you don’t have to go self-hosted! There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your wordpress.com or blogger site. You do you, if it works for you, there is no need to change. I ultimately made the decision so that being-chloe.com and all of its content would be mine and not owned by wordpress.com. Going self-hosted has given me the freedom to design my site as to how I wanted it. You can now choose any theme, plugins, widgets etc you want with absolutely no restrictions. You have the option to use google analytics and post advertisements making your site much more credible.

Why I chose Siteground

There are looaaaaads of hosting sites out there, you should choose the site that works for you and nobody else. Do your research and see which company offers you what you need. I chose Siteground as it was one of the cheaper sites I saw, I had heard great things about their customer service and they were recommended by WordPress.

The process

Before taking the leap, I saw posts everywhere saying that going self-hosted was ridiculously easy! And maybe it is… if you’re a tech wizard (I’m not). I didn’t find the process that easy but the good thing is I had SiteGround to help me every step of the way. Their live chat is 24/7 meaning that no matter what hour, you had their support.

The first thing to do is to choose which plan out of the three you would like. I personally decided to go with the StartUp plan which I think is suitable for most blogs out there. If you want to upgrade later, you always have that option! At only £2.75/month it is the cheapest plan (currently heavily discounted), meaning for less than £40 a year you can own your own site! If you don’t already have a domain name (I already had one with WordPress), you will need to buy one either from Siteground or from another website.

siteground

The next step is to transfer your wordpress.com site to the self-hosted wordpress.org, which Siteground do for absolutely FREE. You will be provided with a ticket number where you can communicate with Siteground and track the changes. You need to provide the link to the wordpress.com login site, email, and password so that Siteground can make the move. Unfortunately, hosting sites cannot access WordPress’ database and so not everything can be transferred over. Siteground were really transparent about this and instead installed a brand new WordPress application under the Siteground hosting account. All of my posts, pages and comments were transferred with the exception of likes, which I was okay with. To move the followers over, you need to install JetPack, which Siteground did for me so I didn’t need to worry.

You then have to point your domain to Siteground by changing its NS records. This is so easy to do, and Siteground was really helpful on the live chat by providing me with articles. You then wait for the DNS propagation to take place. WordPress state that this takes ~24 hours but for me, I’d say it took around 9 hours. And there you have it, your site is self-hosted!

Now what?!

Your site is now well and truly yours! Go crazy! You can now install any theme you would like, Siteground even helped me do this bit on the live chat even though they didn’t have to! I chose a Pipdig theme as they are so beautiful and responsive! You can customize your site however you like, install widgets and plugins such as Yoast SEO.

If you were on wordpress.com you now need to transfer followers with Jetpack. There are loads of articles online showing you how to do this, it literally took 2 minutes!

And voila, you’re done! The whole process took just over a day (it would probably take less time, but I started at 9pm at night and so was asleep for most of that time). Siteground took care of everything for me, and there was no downtime on my blog at all, I could not recommend this hosting company more!

Despite the help, it can be a little confusing, so if you need any help feel free to message me or a leave a comment below!

Thankyou for reading! Chlo x

*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you use the link I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. All views are 100% my own.

1. February 7, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Haha, those posts that say it’s easy always get you. You will need to figure out a new interface, how to set everything up properly, etc. And suddenly you have to deal with MySQL databases and whatnot.

I’m always happy to be a techie in such situations (I actually build websites as well), and I find it always easier to set it up for people rather than teaching them. And even then, WordPress’ famous 5-minute install takes an hour or more to set up properly.

February 7, 2018 / 7:24 pm

It’s never easy 😂 I feel like people who say it’s easy are lying! I could never switch to being self hosted by myself! Oh yeah it’s not a one click install ahah!

2. February 8, 2018 / 8:34 am

This is very useful. I am debating which one to choose for my blog. And I herad so many good things about them. I will probably go with them. Thank you

February 8, 2018 / 9:25 am

I’m glad it was helpful! Let me know if you need any help lovely 😊

3. February 8, 2018 / 5:31 pm

I have debated this very issue for quite some time. I’m still at blogspot but I assume somewhere in the near future I’ll switch over to my own site. You post was encouraging and helpful. Thank you for sharing the experience. I much less fearful after reading about your experience. Good luck to you on the new platform, you did a great job, very appealing layout.

February 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I’m so glad it helped lovely! Thankyou for reading too! If you make the switch with Siteground I hope this makes things a bit clearer, if not feel free to ask for help 😊

4. February 8, 2018 / 5:32 pm

I recommend squarespace as well! you own your domain for $20 a year and I’ve had great success with it. Good to hear you liked siteground!

February 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

They did everything I ask for a great price! Can’t complain 😊

5. February 9, 2018 / 8:28 am

It’s always nice reading about just how it works, most people just say that they went self hosted but never really explain just HOW they did it 🙂 Informative and great post x

February 9, 2018 / 9:21 am

Yeah I found that was the case a lot, I’m like I need details! A step by step instruction 😂 thanks for reading lovely x

6. February 9, 2018 / 8:44 am

I have been looking into self-hosting, so it’s is good to know that the process didn’t take that long & you were able to get help along the way!

February 9, 2018 / 9:23 am

I’d definitely recommend site ground! Let me know if you need any help lovely 😊 x

February 9, 2018 / 9:23 am

I’d definitely recommend siteground! I hope my post can help you out 😊 let me know if you need help! X

February 9, 2018 / 9:25 am

I’d definitely recommend siteground! Let me know if you need help lovely 😊 x

7. February 9, 2018 / 2:21 pm

I’m toying with the idea of doing this soon, so thank you for this post! I’m doing a lot of research so anything to make that easier is appreciated!

February 9, 2018 / 2:28 pm

I’m so glad it helped! Feel free to message me if you need a hand, but Siteground are great!

8. February 10, 2018 / 3:58 pm

Brilliant post!! I’m thinking of going self hosted myself, I’ve only just started looking into it so this has been super helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Emma x

Emmarollason.wordpress.com

February 10, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Aww thankyou lovely I’m glad it helped! If you need any advice just let me know 😊 x

9. February 10, 2018 / 7:01 pm

This might be something that I consider in the future, but I suspect it’s more complicated that I realise. You make it sound so easy though!

February 10, 2018 / 7:02 pm

It was definitely more complicated than what a lot of other posts I read made out! Siteground did most things for me, it was more that I didn’t understand what was being done and why! Hope this post helps lovely!

10. February 13, 2018 / 5:26 pm

Great post! I’ve self-hosted on Bluehost only to lose interest in my site. I’m going freebie for a year to see if I can keep it up before self hosting again!

February 13, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Oh no that’s annoying! Using a free site would probably really help! I was blogging for a month before going self hosted so I’m hoping I can keep up momentum 😊

11. February 15, 2018 / 7:22 pm

This was a really useful post. I’m a little scared to go self-hosted and maybe it’s not even needed right now, but it’s definitely the next step to take :)! Thank you for the tips!

February 15, 2018 / 7:25 pm

I’d only been blogging for a month before I switched to self hosted! I thought it would be better to do it sooner rather than later! You should definitely do it plus siteground are great… and you can be an affiliate win win 😂

12. February 17, 2018 / 9:32 am

This is such a helpful post for bloggers wanting to go self-hosted but just don’t know how to go about it. I went self-hosted last year with SiteGround and it was the best decision I’ve made for my blog ✨

Samantha | https://believeinamiracle.co.uk

February 17, 2018 / 9:56 am

I love the way my blog looks now! Thanks for reading 😊

13. February 17, 2018 / 4:57 pm

Thanks Chloe!!! This helped a lot!! I will be going with SiteGround when I make the change and refer back to this post or reach out if I need more assistance. Thanks a million. <3

February 17, 2018 / 4:59 pm