5 ways that I am trying to beat the January Blues!

January can be a difficult month for lots of people. Once the excitement of Christmas and New Year has died down, many of us are left without any money and feeling quite glum. 2017 was a tough year for me, I found myself spending most of my days feeling down and not wanting to speak to anyone.

I was determined to make sure that I was much more like my normal self in 2018, however despite my best efforts, today was a tricky one! Instead of letting these emotions get the better of me, I thought I would make a post to help others beat these January Blues, and to give myself something to look back to on my sad days.

Here are the 5 ways I am going to beat this horrible month: Hopefully they will help you too!

1 Focus on my blog

If you read my first ever post on ‘Being Chloe’ (Here), you will know that the whole reasoning behind creating this blog was to give me something positive to focus on. Some of you might think that avoidance is not the best way to deal with any sad feelings, but for me it really helps. This month, I am going to properly focus on blogging, with 2 new posts every week to keep me busy and make Being Chloe the best it can be! I am proud of what I have achieved so far with this blog, and I am excited about the direction in which it is heading.

img_0860-1

Meet my dog Millie!

2.  Long walks

Also in my ‘Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018’ post I said that one of my goals for the year was to walk my dog more. I am happy to say that I have stuck to this resolution so far! Long walks are good for clearing my head, getting exercise and seeing Millie loving life! This can be difficult to do with the short days and the bitterly cold weather, but I love how happy it makes my dog.

3. Read more

Towards the end of 2017 I spontaneously bought a kindle in the hopes that I would start to read more. I used to read all the time and I loved it! But sadly, Uni got in the way and so I didn’t have enough time to get really into a good book. This was a nice thought, but I only went and lost the charger and have yet to finish one book! Luck was on my side in 2018 and I found my charger, and so to beat the January Blues I am going to read more, especially on my train commute to work every day.

4. Keeping things tidy

With it being a new year, I thought this was the perfect time to declutter my room and make it much more neat and tidy! I now love spending time writing my posts in my room, and with the addition of a couple of (read: a lot of) fairy lights, it is very relaxing to be in here. This is something that is very easy to do, and you know what they say ‘Tidy room, Tidy mind’!

5. Being Positive

I know this is something that is probably very easy to say but difficult to do BUT I am determined to stick to it. I am trying to focus on all the good things I have in my life, my family, friends, job and of course my new blog instead of the negative thoughts that troubled me in 2017. I will try to find the good in any bad situation, and fingers crossed I can get through the bloody month! I also want to go with the flow this year with the ideology of ‘What is meant to be, will be’.

What are you doing to beat the January blues? Do you have any tips for staying postive or any book recommendations for me to read? Comment below!

Thankyou for reading, Chlo x

• January 10, 2018 / 8:30 am

Thankyou for reading lovely! Yeah me too, more books not blogs 😂 x

1. January 10, 2018 / 10:25 am

Well, I think two books: “crush it” and “crushing it” written by Gary Vaynerchuk are must-read books because they are informative about social networking. 😊

• January 10, 2018 / 11:08 am

Ooh thankyou I will look into those ☺️

• January 10, 2018 / 3:06 pm

Aww thankyou my lovely! I will definitely do my post for the award 😘 thankyou for reading! I hope you can work towards these things aswell ☺️ xx

2. January 10, 2018 / 5:26 pm

Great tips! The winter months can be tough.

• January 10, 2018 / 5:54 pm

Thankyou for reading! Hope the tips help!

3. connxvi
    January 10, 2018 / 8:40 pm

I LOVE long walks, i often tend to wonder off to my local park and walk around the pond, snapping a few instagram pics here and there! totally calms me down and gives me a bit of time to think!

• January 10, 2018 / 8:41 pm

I’m 100% going to walk more, you’re right it’s very calming! Thanks for reading ☺️

4. January 10, 2018 / 11:32 pm

These are exactly the things in doing to crush the January blues! My blog has been especially helpful. It’s been keeping me so busy I hardly have time to think about how horrible winter is!

• January 11, 2018 / 6:52 am

I agree I have much less time on my hands to think about things!

5. January 11, 2018 / 12:58 pm

Those are some lovely, productive things to focus on! I struggle with depression and I find that exercise and remaining preoccupied helps me too. Every now and then, I sit silently to myself and I explore how I’m REALLY feeling; I figure out my underlining stressors and try and develop ways to change them or cope with them. My peace and happiness are the things that matter to me most.

I think you would like, “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F@&k,” by Mark Ronson. It’s a self help book, but a realistic one. Not some sappy you should only think about flowers and puppies bs that floats around. Disclaimer: I started the book but didn’t finish it. I went through a self help binge and I already don’t give a f@&k, so I opted to read something that explores something I don’t know instead, haha!

Dom

• January 11, 2018 / 1:02 pm

Thankyou for sharing! Those are great things to do to help you feel better, I am definitely going to try and get to the root of things more. I will definitely check out that book it sounds great!

6. January 12, 2018 / 6:04 pm

These are great, really good that your blog is about focusing on something positive, I think I can relate there! Start off the year right with some positive mentality ❤️ Good luck hun xx

• January 12, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Aww thankyou for reading lovely! I am really trying to focus on being positive this year😊 thanks Hun! Xx

7. January 12, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Lovely post, thank you for sharing! My room could definitely use some decluttering as well haha! I especially love the last point you made, I think sometimes that’s one of the hardest things to do but so, so important! That’s a wonderful blog you have! ♡ xx

• January 12, 2018 / 6:46 pm

Haha decluttering really helped, and it makes more room for more stuff 😂 positivity is key! Aww thankyou so much lovely, thanks for taking the time to comment ❤️ xx

8. January 12, 2018 / 10:46 pm

I love this! I definitely need to work on being more positive too. 😊

• January 12, 2018 / 10:47 pm

It’s hard for me to do, but definitely trying to focus on being positive more ☺️

9. allthingspopsx
    January 12, 2018 / 11:47 pm

This is a really good post and I’m sure a lot of people myself included can relate to it. One thing you should be aware of when you’re feeling low is how much your blogs and thoughts help people feeling very similar. Also – fearne cotton happy book and journal are amazing if you read and ever feel down 🙂 thanks again for a great post x

• January 13, 2018 / 8:47 am

Thankyou for reading! I would love for my posts to help other people too! I will have a look at the fearne cotton book ☺️x

10. January 13, 2018 / 7:04 pm

I went through this list to see what points I had been doing and I’m doing exactly the same as you….especially reading, it’s been helping me calm my busy mind a lot more… great post hun, this is probably going to help a lot of people out <3
    x

• January 13, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Aww thanks Hun! I’d love for this post to help people, that would be great 😊 thankyou for reading lovely! X

• January 17, 2018 / 6:48 pm

You’re welcome my dear <3

11. January 14, 2018 / 10:12 pm

Having something to focus on (my blog) is the one thing that can really pull me from my depression and ease my anxiety. I definitely agree that it’s not avoiding situations, but it’s giving us a better outlook on life and besides, goals are awesome!

• January 15, 2018 / 6:48 am

Worded it perfectly! Thankyou for reading lovely, I’m glad these things work for you too x

12. January 15, 2018 / 5:10 pm

January is such a killer month, I am focusing on getting ready for my son’s birthday in February to get me through. I am also planning like I have never planned before to keep me busy

• January 15, 2018 / 5:11 pm

It’s terrible! It’s like the month just goes on forever! I’m exactly the same, always trying to busy myself 😊 I hope your son has a great birthday!

13. Pingback: The Liebster Award
  14. January 29, 2018 / 3:06 pm

HI Chloe! I recently found you on Twitter and I wanted to take some time to give your blog some love! I know that I’m late to this post as January is almost over but these are some great ideas to get through the year! I love all of your tips and have been doing all except going for walks.. but I should definitely get into it as I used to do it all the time. Thank you for sharing and have a great day! (:

• January 29, 2018 / 3:12 pm

Aww thankyou lovely! Thankyou for reading, I hope these tips can help you, walks are great for clearing the mind! 😊 have a great day! X